Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Grinding away

Back at the office now for 21 days. Three weeks. Approximately 120 hours, assuming no overtime. That leaves some 1300 hundred weeks of work until retirement, assuming I have the luck and ability to retire at 62. 1300 weeks!!!! No comment...

Returning to work after 18 months of immersing myself in the role of full-time mom and part-time housekeeper (although Steen might dispute the latter) is a roller coaster ride in itself. I am, first and foremost, a mother... on my imaginary "life priority list", three little boys come first -- will always come first. I miss the little things every day. Picking them up from school and seeing their smiles as they come bounding down the stairs. Watching them learn as they jump wholeheartedly into a pool or return a ball at tennis. Hearing the littlest one develop his "new sound for the day". Being able to hug them, kiss them, tell them I love them whenever I want.

That said, I still learn a lot from my job and enjoy the people I work with... we create this excellently functioning little group, filled with complementary competencies and lit by a shared sense of humor and at least a daily dose of laughter. The income is important, of course, and there is definitely something to be said about being able to eat lunch with other adults and to visit the bathroom without one boy or another bursting through the door with the latest gossip.

Nicholas has been at daycare part-time now for two weeks and will start full-time on Monday. He has two sweet and patient teachers, and he's only mistaken someone's finger for food once. He's already gone through one stage of crying when Steen drops him off. Now when they arrive in the morning, he looks at Steen in a resigned way, raises his little hand and waves goodbye. He's a trooper, my little boy.

And so, we go back to "regular" life, as it were

No comments: