Monday, November 22, 2010

Cannes, France

Guess what? I'm about to unload this huge sense of not living up to expectations! Starting today!

I've neglected this wonderful blog, this somewhat concrete evidence of the path of our lives, for months now. Sorry about that.

And thank you to whoever is still bothering to read this... for sticking around. :)

I have a plan. Starting today (February 4), I'm going to try to post an entry every few days until I catch up. I'll backdate the entries though so that in 20 years they'll still make sense. Here's what is missing:

1. France
2. The US and Oprah
3. Thanksgiving
4. Pre-Christmas Preparations
5. Steen's 40th birthday
6. Christmas at home
7. Christmas abroad
8. Everyday life

So, true to form, I'll start with France.

My dear husband travels a great deal because of his job. He is always attending one conference or another, or going to meetings with doctors or working with hospitals, or hanging out at some kick-off or year-end wrap-up with his colleagues.

My role in that regard (when he's travelling) is to stay home and handle all of the usual domestic duties -- the kids, the laundry, the shopping, etc. And to keep making money, of course. :)

In October Steen was scheduled to attend a conference in Cannes. Three days before he was set to leave, we had the following conversation at the dinner table:

Steen: Oh, by the way, you need to plan to serve three extra people for dinner on Wednesday.

Me: What? Who? And wait a minute -- you won't be home Wednesday! You'll be in France!

Steen: I'm not telling you who. Just please make sure you have enough food to serve three extra people.

It must be said here that Steen is being very friendly while I'm getting kind of riled.

Me (jumping to conclusions): Why would you invite colleagues or customers over for dinner on Wednesday when you're not going to be here? How am I going to entertain them on my own?

Steen: Also, you need to be at the airport at 6 Thursday morning.

Me (I admit that I am slow to catch on): I can't go to the airport at 6 in the morning! I have to take the kids to school by 8!

Steen (looks at me seriously and takes a deep breath): Tina, it's ok. There'll be someone else to take the kids to school and to watch them for a few days.

And then I get it.

My guy has arranged for for his parents and little brother to stay here with the kids, and for me to meet him in Cannes.

Which I do.

I leave the snow and freezing temperatures of our current home to arrive in 20-degree (celcius) sunny Nice, rent a car and drive to Cannes, and spend 1.5 days working while Steen finishes up his conference (well, I didn't work the entire time -- at one point, I wandered down to the waterfront, had myself a cappuccino, a baguette and a crepe, sat on the beach and watched the sun set).

And then we spend several amazing days together exploring the French Riviera, with our base camp set up at a lovely B&B situated at the top of one of the many hills overlooking the sea. Isn't it just gorgeous?


While Cannes itself is glamorous, interesting, incredibly expensive and beautiful, we really enjoyed visiting the small villages that line the coast and crawl up the mountainsides. Small streets, fun shops and amazing food.


Thank you to my great in-laws for taking on the daunting task of our three boys that weekend. And a special thanks to my sweet husband for bringing me with him.

1 comment:

Lummer said...

You look amazing Tina! Love your hair! What an amazing trip. So super jealous! I am excited to hear about the Oprah trip!