Saturday, January 19, 2008

A Sweet Hello and a Sad Farewell

I have just realized (totally embarassing to admit) that I have yet to congratulate Michelle and Carsten on the birth of their lovely little girl. We cannot wait to meet her. In fact, Nicholas and I are quite happy that we're going to meet her soon. In a few months, we'll join Gitte on a trip to Australia!

So hello Annabelle and welcome to the world!

I haven't written earlier this week because on Monday we learned that Steen's uncle had passed away. Such news is always sad and incredibly hard to accept. I remember Papse as a quiet, happy man who once really surprised me when he and Ole spontaneously grabbed the microphones and sang at a family party. He and I shared a strong interest in reading and he supplied me with hundreds of English-language books during my years in Denmark. I always enjoyed spending time with him and Fanny. His absence is on all of our minds, and our hearts go out to Fanny, Niels-Frank, Helen and the rest of the family.

Nicholas has begun trying to grab things, although actually catching them is a matter of pure coincidence. When he does, he immediately tries to shove them in his mouth and he gets very frustrated when the toy flies past his mouth and hits the floor or his nose. His favorite toys at the moment are a little soft bear he received from his Uncle Christian (see the video) and a piece of blue silk that he loves to have waved over his head.

Matthew, Lucas and Steen have been sick this week with fevers, coughing and headaches. I've just started coughing, but I hope it doesn't get worse. It's probably caused by the fact that it's done nothing but rain here for days and days... Isn't this the country where snow should be guaranteed????

Matthew and I have begun reading for Nicholas. He seems to enjoy the entertainment. I've also been spending some time each day trying to get Nicholas used to the baby carrier. He'll allow me to carry him in it for five or ten minutes, but that's the absolute limit. Strange -- the other boys loved it, but then again, Nicholas is definitely aware of what he wants and doesn't want, and those things don't necessarily have anything in common with Matthew and Lucas!




No comments: