Friday, January 25, 2008

Clara Barton I am not

For the past eight days, I have been running the Pedersen Sick House.

Last Tuesday night, Steen launched this year's first "round of illness" by announcing "I think I'm going to get sick soon". He then proceeded to make himself a cup of tea with rum, which he is certain is the perfect tool for stopping any oncoming cold. I don't know much about that (today, 9 days later, he's still coughing). Thursday he spent the day in bed, an unusual move for a man who hasn't taken a sick day for at least 7 years. I figured he must have really been feeling bad, since he never even made it to his favorite spot on the couch. I just stayed away from him as much as possible -- in an effort to keep Nicholas and myself from getting sick, I decided on a policy of self-protection rather than serving him chicken soup.

When I picked the boys up on Wednesday evening, Matthew announced that he had been coughing all day, and in the car on the way home I noticed that Lucas was coughing too. By Thursday morning, they both had fevers and were coughing up a storm. They spent last Thursday and Friday at home. Both went to school Monday, though, but on Tuesday I kept Matthew home because he was still coughing and sounding very much like a seal.

All along I figured as long as Nicholas didn't catch the local Pedersen virus, we'd be ok. After all, the other guys are all much bigger and, I assume, their bodies are better prepared to fight a virus. I also thought that the breastfeeding would protect Nicholas for the most part. However, the little guy came down with his first mild fever Wednesday night so that neither he nor I slept more than 10 consecutive minutes. Last night was better, though, and today he seems quite happy.

So it seems we're all doing better. Matthew and Steen's lingering coughs are the only remnant -- good thing, too, as I'm almost out of our precious, imported cough syrup!

No comments: