Tuesday, February 5, 2008

My little boy reaches a milestone

Just back from four days in Åre -- a terrific ski resort here in Sweden. We took the trip in honor of Matthew, who turned ten last week. Absolutely unbelievable that my "little" boy can already be ten. I remember the day he was born -- lying in the hospital with him in my arms, watching the snow falling outside my window. At that point I had no idea what joy and happiness he would bring. I am so proud of the young man he is becoming.


As it was Matthew's first "round" birthday, we told him he could pick where he wanted to go for a long weekend. He chose skiing, so off to Åre we went. It's reputed to offer Sweden's best skiing. As I stick to the red and blue hills, I can't exactly vouch for that. However, it's a terrific place for families with young children. In fact, twice I was able to hit the slopes with Matthew and Lucas while Steen took care of Nicholas. The boys are excellent skiiers. Lucas has no fear at all and just flies down the mountain (with style, of course). Matthew stays with me most of the way down.


The rest of the time Nicholas and I hung out at the various eateries, since he's not quite old enough to handle the black-diamond runs. I enjoyed lattés while he people-watched.


Last week also brought a big day for Steen and I -- our "copper" anniversary. The copper anniversary, which is the day a couple has been married for 12.5 years, is a very big day for Danes. Our house is therefore now filled with beautiful flowers from our Danish family. Steen and I decided long ago that we would rather take a trip than hold a party to celebrate the big day, so we'll be off to Dubai for a week in the near future.

The boys recently took part in their first judo match. Matthew came in third in his weight class and Lucas came in fourth. They were thrilled to come home with medals hanging around their necks. Here's Matthew in one of his fights...

and here's Lucas.

Last but not least is Nicholas's newest trick -- grabbing his pant legs and pulling them up. He's very proud of his new achievement.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pcitures of the boys of the beautiful mountains...Thanks for sharing.
Love Auntie Pam

Sister Suffragette! said...

Wow! 10 years of being a mamma! Congratulations to you- you must be quite an expert.
And that copper anniversary thing is just gorgeous. Congratulations on that too.