Saturday, February 16, 2008

A conversation with a tweenie

Matthew is definitely on his way to becoming a teenager. Sadly, I am already unable to understand much of what goes on in his little head and, in his mind, I am quickly becoming the quintessential mom who is a pain. I also keep sticking my nose into his business -- where he thinks it doesn't belong.

Case in point...

Two days ago Matthew got ready for school own his own -- as usual. He ate breakfast, made his bed, got dressed and came out of his room wearing a bright blue shirt, blue jogging pants and dark brown socks with bright yellow stripes (bumblebee style). The ensuing conversation went like this:

Me (I start off nice and calm): Matthew, please go back in your room and change your socks. They don't match the rest of your clothes. (In school, the kids only wear socks while they're inside. No shoes. So the socks are visible...)

Matthew: These socks match. They're fine.

Me: Matthew, please go change your socks.

Matthew: Mom, look, I'm wearing grey pants! Brown matches grey! (In my mind, it is highly debatable whether dark brown and bright yellow match grey.)

Me: Your pants are blue!

Matthew: No, they're not. They're grey! Aren't they dad?

Steen: They're blue!

Matthew (starting to yell): They're grey!!!! And who cares? No one is going to criticize me for my socks at school. What's the big deal? Who cares!?!

Me (I am no longer so blissfully calm. I should have just dropped it at this point, but sometimes I still don't know when to let him make his own choices): Matthew, go change your socks.

Matthew stomps off to his room complaining all the way about his pain in the rear-end mom, rips the sock drawer open, pulls out a pair of blue socks and puts them on. He then stomps out to the laundry room, getting louder and louder with his complaints. He proceeds to complain while putting on his coat and boots.

And I realize that I should have just let him stick with the silly socks.

But I am a mom!!!!

No comments: