Friday, May 30, 2008

A round of achievements

Have I ever told you how proud I am of my boys? This past week has been a big one for Matthew.

Last Friday, Matthew took part in the Stockholm chess championships for fourth graders. His class has participated in a number of tournaments throughout the year and had qualified for the national finals, which were on May 10 (they placed 30th in the nation, but I may have said that a while back....).

Matthew did so well in the previous tournaments that he was invited to take part in last Friday's tournament, where rankings were based on individual achievement.




At the end of the tournament, Matthew was ranked 82nd out of all current fourth grade chess players (his teacher say they started with around 7,000). A round of chess anyone?



Whenever I play chess with Lucas or Matthew, I invariably lose. Always. Without a doubt. And I'm not even trying to let them win. I lose. They're so supportive though, always coming with comments like "That's ok, mom. You're getting better. You just need to practice!" Yeah, right!

Yesterday, Matthew had his last judo lesson of the season. He came home with a broad smile on his face and a bright new belt around his middle.


And if you're wondering, no, I don't try to beat him at judo at all!

No comments: