Saturday, June 6, 2009

Another point of view

Matthew, soon to be a fifth-grade graduate, is an avid reader and writer. One of his last assignments for this school year was to rewrite a children's story from another character's point of view. I was so impressed by his version that I thought I'd share it with you.

GOLDILOCKS -- BABY BEAR’S POINT OF VIEW

One morning, when I woke, I could smell the smell of porridge wafting into my room. I went downstairs and said:

”Porridge. Nam nam” (this was my special language at that time).

Mama Bear (my mother) explained to me:

”Yes. It is porridge for breakfast, but it’s still quite hot. We’ll go for a little walk in the forest, and then come back when the porridge has cooled off”.

And so we did. There were very many interesting objects to see (this was my first time in the forest). The thing I liked the most was a strange structure just outside the forest. It was made of stone and something that looked like super-hard mud. There was even smoke (I’m almost sure it was smoke) coming out of it. Papa Bear (my father) told me this was a house which humans lived in. He also said that humans are the second most intelligent creatures on the planet (of course, we’re the smartest).

When we came to a large clearing in the woods, Mama Bear exclaimed:

”Why don’t we take a power nap? The porridge is probably still too hot for Baby Bear”. Papa Bear agreed and we all settled down to rest.

About twenty minutes later, we woke up and started to walk back to our cave (house) and rest. I was the first one to reach the cave. As I tried the door, it opened with ease. I cried:

”De tor up!” (this meant: the door is open!).

”Oh no. We forgot to lock the door, Papa Bear!” Mama Bear said, the frustration crystal-clear in her voice.

We went inside. When I sat down on my seat, I noticed my porridge bowl was empty.

”Buuuuhaa. Porridge gone!”

”Don’t worry,” said Mama Bear, ”I’ll make you some new porridge”.

I went into the living room to sit and wait on my special bear chair. When I came in I saw my chair was broken into pieces.

”Buhaaaaa. Chair broken!”

My parents came rushing in to see what happened.

Then Papa Bear said:

”Don’t worry. I’ll make you a new one.”

I went up to check the bedroom.

”Papa Bey. Mama Bey!” In they came. ”Sniff, sniff. Girly in bed. Scare!”

Papa Bear replied:

”Alright. I’ll scare her. ROOOAAAR”

She woke up, and screamed. Then she was gone. I still don’t know where she is. But I have this one strand of golden hair…

THE END

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Tina -what a great story! I´ve read it twice, I am still laughing. He is really talented! Have a great week, send me an sms if you want to take a cup of coffee on day. Klem /Bente

Grand Pa Hennip said...

WOW! That my Grand Son!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great new version. I love it.
Aunt Ro