Wednesday, June 24, 2009

How is this possible?

I have not often used this forum as a soapbox for my political or social views, but yesterday I saw something that I feel I have to share.

If you know me well, you know that my first passion is humanitarian work. I have always been a firm believer in the idea that I am where I am -- blessed with an amazing life, food on the table every day, a healthy family -- only through the luck of birth. That luck, in my view, requires that I give something back.

Pay it forward.

Or pay it back.

Whatever you want to call it.

Danish TV is currently running a series of documentary films, many of which I have seen, many of which are meant to make the viewer think, feel, cry or laugh.

Last night's the station showed Darwin's Nightmare, a film about how the previously thriving economy of the region around Lake Victoria in Africa was ruined by the introduction of Nile Perch into the lake.

The perch fillets are in high demand in Europe, which has led to a somewhat suspect industry involving Russian cargo planes, accusations of arms smuggling, and thousands of local children who melt the fish packaging to turn it into glue they can sniff. Daily. Not to mention the wars that plague the area, which are not necessarily related to the fish.

Try to get your head around this:

"In the Eastern Congo alone, the casualties of war on each single day equal the number of deaths on September 11th in New York." (Darwin's Nightmare website)

An African journalist covering the story stated that half of Tanzania's 14 million citizens must live on less than $1 per day.

One dollar.

7.85 Swedish kroner.

5.27 Danish kroner.

That's an income per person of $365 per year.

Have you ever had to survive for any extended period of time on less than one dollar per day?

I know that journalists can spin a story to get a certain, pre-determined message across. Still, the images in that film of how this particular part of humanity live were shocking, frightening and depressing.

See the film (for info on the movie, click here)!

No comments: