Monday, March 22, 2010

Losing those we love

On Saturday, my Uncle Jim lost his six-year battle with Alzheimers. He was 61.


I don't know what to say or how to say it. So instead I wrote him a letter to say some of the many things I should probably have said long ago.

******************************

Dearest Uncle Jim,

What is there to say when my mind and heart are filled with the knowledge that you have completed your journey here on earth? When I know what a struggle the past six years have been for you and your family following the Alzheimer's diagnosis? What can I say but thank you and I love you.

Thank you for every holiday we ever spent together -- the many Christmases with presents piled high all around, the Easters where as one huge family we shared grandma's lamb with mint jelly, the Thanksgiving celebrations, the weddings, the pool parties. Thank you for every smile, every bit of laughter we shared, and for all your support over the years.


Thank you for being my godfather and for watching over me as I grew up, and for taking the podium to read of God's love for us at our wedding.


Thank you for allowing me to celebrate Thanksgiving with you, Auntie Ro, Nicole and Jeff when you all still lived in NJ and I was in college.

Thank you for being the amazing role model you were. Hard-working, dedicated and incredibly intelligent. You taught me more than you ever knew.

Thank you for bringing my two wonderful cousins into the world, for fathering them with love and for giving us the chance to grow up in a tightly-knit group of 5 cousines. And thank you for bringing Auntie Ro into our family before I was even born -- we are blessed to have her. And thank you for being there for my mom, your sister, over the years, and your three brothers too.


Your presence in this world was a blessing. We shall miss you. We love you.

love,

Your niece Tina

3 comments:

Paul Hennip said...

Tina,

What a wonderful tribute to uncle Jim and his family!

Love you all - DAD

Pam said...

Simply Beautiful Tina....I'm sure Uncle Jim is smiling down on you....

Anonymous said...

Tina, What a wonderful letter to give.
I know he just loves you for writing it.
Thank you for letting Tim read it at the Wake.
Love you,
Aunt Ro