Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A happy story for today

In light of the current trend in international news, which I find dismal and incredibly bleak, I bring you this little ray of sunshine. I have translated it from an article posted in the Danish online news JyllandsPosten, where it was posted on March 17.

"Argentinian systems engineer Andrés Ariasse has undoubtedly taken up a special place in the life of a Barcelona family.

He was walking along Gran de Sant Andreu street in the Catalanian capital when he was nearly hit by a little shoe that fell from above. He looked up and saw a baby that was just about to fall as well.

A few seconds later the baby – who turned two today – fell exactly where Andrés stood.

'No one was around, so I had to handle the situation myself. I took a little hop and put out my arms, after which I half-grabbed and half-broke the fall', Ariasse told the local media, which is now calling him a hero.

The baby hit the asphalt immediately after it was caught, but the force of the fall was reduced enough so that the baby could survive without serious injury, according to the Spanish news agency Efe."

No comments: