Monday, March 16, 2009

On his own

My little boy isn't so little anymore.

Recently, Matthew had to meet his class for a field trip at a location that was outside the school. That morning, as we all jumped in the car, Matthew took a deep breath, looked at me from the passenger seat and said:

"Mom, can I go there on my own? It would be so embarassing if you insist on going there to drop me off..." He smiled sheepishly, blushing all the way to his ears, clearly embarassed by his own request.

I smiled, knowing this day had been coming for a long time. My little boy is becoming a young man. I wasn't upset by the request, but rather proud of the person he is turning into.

"Of course, hon. Here are the bus tickets", I said... and then, because I still need to know he's safe, I said "Call me when you get there!"

"Aw, mom", he said... but he did.

No comments: