Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Frost???

Frost? In August? Come on!!! The weather forecaster informed us that frost was expected in southern Sweden (south of us) last night. Frost!!!! Come on, guys. It's only August 29! And this morning I saw that snow is expected in some parts of Norway today. SNOW!!!

The Swedish winter is one thing that can paralyze me with fear -- a fear that is far greater than any apprehensions I may have about giving birth to this lovely child I carry inside of me. Already the change in the amount of daylight since the summer solstice is evident. During the early summer, the sun sets at about midnight and rises again at 3 a.m., and it is never really darker than twilight in Chicago in between. Last night the sun set around 8 p.m. and rose this morning at 5. At midwinter, we have only about 4 hours of daylight, and that's assuming there aren't any clouds in the sky. Otherwise, it seems dark all day. The darkness is depressing -- I am a sun-loving Midwesterner, who can handle a serious snowstorm once in a while, but the darkness is another story.

From our window, I can see the leaves changing to yellow... autumn is on its way. How many months until summer???

No comments: