Thursday, September 6, 2007

The ups and downs

Midwife visit: September 3, 2007
Sugar, iron, blood pressure all normal
She said if the baby is born now it would weigh about 2.5 kg, which would probably be fine.
Baby’s heart rate at 142, although it went up to 150 when she put the monitor on… I don’t think he likes the invasion of his space.
I have gained 10 kg in total.

*************

I have found myself on an emotional roller coaster. Sure, I know it’s probably due to the pregnancy hormones that are raging through my body… and yes, I also know that I tend to be an emotional person, pregnancy or no pregnancy. But still one moment I find myself filled with joyful anticipation about the coming of the baby, and at others I wonder about who this little person is – will he be healthy, will he be an “easy” baby, will I get enough sleep, will Matthew and Lucas cope well with the addition of another child to the family, do I have the stamina and patience to handle another little one????

And my thoughts wander to the news we have received in the past week or two. Steen’s uncle, who was diagnosed with lung cancer several months ago, has been told that the treatments have failed and that the cancer has spread. My heart sinks and another series of questions fills my mind… most of them starting with Why???? Steen’s grandmother has been hospitalized for several weeks now and is receiving regular blood transfusions, but the doctors don’t seem to know what is affecting her so. And again, why???? So our thoughts are often elsewhere than just within these walls. And I feel so bad that Steen can’t leave right now to visit his family, to be by their side when they need him the most.

I read on CNN this morning that Pavarotti has died. Granted, I am far from a major opera fan. In fact, I have never in all my life been to the opera, although every year I swear I’m going to buy a subscription for a season. But I do have some of the “Three Tenors” CD’s and I always found his voice – and his personality – enthralling. The world has lost an amazing voice.

So, to cheer myself up, and you as well now that I have dragged you down the hill of my emotional rollercoaster, I’ll post some photos below. Also, I am proud to announce that yesterday Lucas’s class won the “Golden Shoe” at the annual Haga Day running race (his class had to run 2 km). And Matthew was the second in his class to complete his Haga Day race (his class had to run 4 km). They are both very, very proud of themselves. When I pick them up today, I will get to see the Golden Shoe!!!

By the way, I have started a gift registry (at the request of some of you) at babiesrus. If you happen to order something, you’ll notice that we ask that everything be delivered to mom and dad’s. That’s because we have to pay import tax on just about anything shipped directly to Sweden. Mom and Dad will be coming here in mid-October. However, please remember that we need nothing more than your love and prayers.

Matthew hanging out in Stockholm
Emma and Michelle
The Pedersens on a Stockholm boat trip
Lucas and Emma
Matthew on his first day of fourth grade
Lucas all set for first grade



No comments: