Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The blush gives him away

What can make a self-reliant, confident nine-year old turn suddenly all mushy? Furthermore, what can make his ears and cheeks turn a bright pink?

A girl, of course... one of his classmates. We passed her on the street after school yesterday and one look at my "little" boy told me that he is crazy for this girl. I looked at him and said "Matthew, what's wrong?" "Oh mom, she makes me so nervous when she's near me!" The beauty of first love.

As I was waiting for Matthew yesterday at the school, a young girl came up to me and said "Are you going to have a baby?". This happens to me often when I'm dropping off or picking up Lucas -- his classmates seem fascinated by my continually growing tummy. They're probably wondering when the balloon is going to pop and whether it will make a huge noise when it does. (For my part, I'm just glad they don't think the growing belly is the result of overeating!) This little girl I hadn't met before though.

"Yes, I am. In about a week or so."

"Does it kick?"

"Yes, but I think he's sleeping now".

"Can I feel your tummy?", she says, and I let her. Then I ask her if she has any little brothers or sisters, and I get the heartbreaking reply:

"No brothers, no sisters, and no mommy either. She died when I was five."

I bent over to give this beautiful creature a hug, tell her that I think she is very brave and beautiful despite such a sad event in her life, and we spend the next five minutes chatting about her playmates outside. Food for thought for this pregnant woman...

My wonderful husband spent most of his weekend painting the "nursery". I'm so excited! We never had a nursery before. I'll have to post some photos as things progress.

The voting continues (see link on the left)! T-minus 6 days until due-date and a maximum of 20 days until the baby must arrive!!!!

No comments: